Surgery Media Systems
The Surgery Media Systems Ltd (SMS) digital signage network is Scala based and consists of an interactive touchscreen kiosk, a LCD screen, an online administrative web portal and a public facing health information portal.
Back in 2009, I was asked to join the company as lead project manager and developer. My first task was to interview and hire a team of developers and designers. I then project managed the SMS digital signage network from beginning to a saleable product. I was heavily involved in software development, specifically the content playback, backend solution, internal and external web development and database programming.
After the development, design work and testing phase, a final version of the digital signage solution was completed ready for launch at the BDA Dental Show, ExCel Centre. It was positively received and headway made to market the SMS digital signage network to interested dental practices throughout the UK.
Once the network was fully operational and installed, I developed a site monitoring and fault logging system.
This reported the network’s health status and was checked regularly by the SMS support staff, which I managed. When an issue arose, a fault was entered into the fault logging system where I monitored progress and ensured faults were resolved within the agreed SLA.
I project managed this digital signage project from beginning to end, getting involved in development as it evolved. All aspects of my skill set were used and invaluable experience gained.
Surgery Media Systems
My main responsibilities while working on this project included:
- Project management on all levels.
- Preparing, testing and setting up equipment for exhibitions, demos and site installation.
- Lead technical and operations consultant.
- Web site development.
- Interviewing and hiring new members of staff, appraisals, staff holiday and absenteeism.
- Liaising with clients, suppliers, Directors, shareholders and business partners.
- Technical documentation writing and monthly company technical and operational reports for board meetings.
- Organising and presenting project demos to prospective new clients and dealers.
- Software and hardware testing and repairing.
- Management of the technical, sales and content staff and departments.
For over 7 years, I continue to maintain and monitor this network, and in addition, I undertake the following:-
- Maintenance visits.
- Digital signage server upgrades and maintenance.
- Survey reporting.
- Site surveys.
- Site installations.
- Client management.
- Web application upgrades.
- Additional features developed on request.